Research suggests that sun exposure guidelines may need to be revised for optimal vitamin D synthesisDon't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
Research suggests that sun exposure guidelines may need to be revised for optimal vitamin D synthesis
Uno study conducted by researchers at King's College London, with support from NIHR Guy's and St Thomas' Biomedical Research Center, tested the optimal wavelengths of ultraviolet radiation (UVR) for the production of vitamin D by human skin at sunlight.
UV rays from sunlight can cause sunburn as well skin cancer, however, it is the most important source of vitamin D essential for the development and maintenance of healthy bones.
Public health advice regarding exposure to sunlight takes into account both the risks and the benefits. Calculating the potential risks and benefits of exposure to sunlight is not straightforward because health outcomes vary considerably with the wavelength within the sun's UV spectrum. For example, the sun's UVR rays contain less than 5% short-wavelength UVB radiation, but this is responsible for more than 80% of the sunburn response. Any health outcomes from sun exposure depend on wavelength.
A systematic review
The association between specific UVB wavelengths and vitamin D production was determined more than thirty years ago in (ex vivo) skin samples. However, the finding was poorly established and there were doubts as to its accuracy. These doubts compromise the risk / benefit calculations for optimal sun exposure.
Researchers measured blood vitamin D levels in 75 healthy young volunteers before, during and after partial or full body exposure to five different man-made UVR sources with different amounts of UVB radiation, to evaluate the trade between benefits. of sun exposure, which include the synthesis of vitamin D, compared to the risks of sunburn and skin cancer.
They then compared their results with what would have been predicted from the old vitamin D ex vivo study, and found that the previous study is not an accurate predictor of the benefit from UVR exposure.
The new study, therefore, shows that risk calculations may need to be re-evaluated against the benefits of sun exposure.
Fonte: Fonte: King's College London
On the vitamin D could it be interesting for you:
- Vitamin D deficiency - the signal on your tongue that you are dangerously short of it
- Vitamin D: the newly discovered beneficial effects on the bladder and urinary tract
- Why you should get vitamin D with a fat source, possibly organic oils
- If you feel tired while walking, you may have a vitamin D deficiency
- Vitamin D: Why is this particular ethnic group more at risk of deficiency? I study
- Vitamin D: A new study highlights the dangerous side effect of its deficiency on the arteries and heart
- Vitamin D: where it is found, what it is used for and how to stock up on it
- Vitamin D: symptoms and consequences of a deficiency
- Not just vitamin D, exposure to the sun also has another newly discovered beneficial effect