Vitamin B12 is essential for the body to function and the tongue can be an indicator of severe deficiencyDon't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
Vitamin B12 is essential for the functioning of the organism and the tongue can be a severe deficiency indicator
The B12 plays a key role on the nervous system health; in case of deficiency, if left untreated, this condition can lead to irreversible neurological damage. A sign in the shape of the tongue could be an indicator of general health, and often provides a diagnosis of vitamin B12 levels as well. We are talking about the scalloped tongue which often indicates a vitamin deficiency or hormonal imbalance. (Read: Vitamin D deficiency: the signal on your tongue that you are dangerously short of it)
This condition can occur when the body does not have enough vitamins and minerals, especially the B vitamins which can lead to swelling of the tongue. But that's not all, because low B12 levels are also linked to other changes in the tongue, such as inflammation that leaves the muscle sore, red and swollen. (Read also: Vitamin B12 deficiency: symptoms, risks and how to meet the daily requirement)
Some of the first symptoms of deficiency they include confusion, mood swings, and headaches. Other signs may arise from nerve damage, and will include unexplained weakness and clumsiness, or a tingling sensation in the hands and feet.
Who is at risk? Those who eliminate animal products from their diets, such as vegetarians and vegans, are particularly vulnerable to B12 deficiency.
But this can also develop as consequence of old age, because aging causes a reduction in the production of stomach acid necessary to absorb this essential vitamin.
Supplementation is often recommended for those who are unable to absorb the nutrient naturally, while in other cases, however, B12 can be obtained through the diet by preferring fortified foods.
Follow us on Telegram | Instagram | Facebook | TikTok | Youtube
Could it be interesting for you:
- Vitamin B12 deficiency: the signal not to be underestimated when brushing your teeth, according to this study
- Vitamin B12, don't overdo it! Incorrect dosage can be toxic. The signs to watch out for
- Vitamin B12: in your heartbeat and heart rate an important symptom of a possible deficiency
- Vitamin B12: If you have this peculiar eye symptom you may have a deficiency
- Vitamin B12: If you have these symptoms on your skin you may be deficient
- Vitamin B12: If you have these bowel symptoms and trouble going to the bathroom, you may be deficient
- Vitamin B12: If you have these foot symptoms you may be deficient