How is the famous Romanian "Salată de vinete" prepared? Let's find out Giulia's recipe for eggplant salad.
But how good are eggplants! Basic ingredient of many dishes, from organic homemade cream to delicious Mutabbal, they satisfy the palates of the whole world. And also in Romania they are very popular. Here they are used to prepare the famous "Eggplant salad“, A dish similar to Mutabbal but without tahini sauce. Enriched only with homemade mayonnaise and fresh onions.
More than a salad, as the name would like, which literally translated means “eggplant salad”, is a cream, perfect to spread on bread, enjoying it as an appetizer or next to some second course.
Eggplant salad: Romanian ricetta
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Mihaela Negrescu (@mihaelanegrescu)
Eggplants and onions are the undisputed stars of this tasty Romanian recipe. Today we offer you the version of Giulia.
- 1 kg of eggplant
- half a white onion (but there are also those who use the red ones)
- 2 tablespoons of homemade mayonnaise (find the recipe here)
- Salt to taste
- Arrange the aubergines on a baking sheet and cook them at 200 ° C for about fifty minutes, they must be soft.
- Remove the peel, then place them in a colander overnight, so that they release the vegetation water. You can add a little salt to help release the water.
- Cut the aubergines without using a knife but using a simple wooden spatula. Proceed first horizontally, then vertically, continuing to alternate the lines. Since the pulp will be soft, it will not be a strenuous operation. Alternatively, Giulia crushes them in the mortar, adding them gradually.
- Finely slice the half onion and pour it into a bowl together with the chopped aubergines, mixing well. Add some salt.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of homemade mayonnaise into the bowl and continue stirring.
- Let the salad cool in the fridge for an hour, you just have to enjoy it spread on a few slices of bread.
Tips and tricks
Remember that the ideal aubergines for this recipe should not be too hard and must be a nice dark purple.
Before putting them in the oven, it is better to tease them here and there. And don't rush to remove them from the oven, they must be very soft.
Follow us on Telegram | Instagram | Facebook | TikTok | Youtube
- Oriental salad: the Romanian recipe for potato salad
- Socată: the traditional Romanian recipe of the elderberry refreshing drink