Bagel, here is the recipe with sourdough for the soft donut-shaped bread so loved in the States
Bagel, prescription to prepare the bread most common in North America. Of European origin and dating back to the late 1.600s, these donut-shaped sandwiches spread to the United States in the early nineteenth century. Soft, light and enriched with sesame seeds on the surface, they can be stuffed at will or eaten like this, for example as a snack.
Under the sign bagel recipe provides for the use of the mother yeast and, as per tradition, a double leavening in addition to a double cooking. In fact, before being cooked in the oven, these salty donuts must be blanched for a few seconds.
Ingredients for 8 bagels of 100 gr each.
- 500 1 grams of flour
- 250 grams of water
- 120 gr of sourdough
- 6 grams of agave syrup
- 8 gr of salt
- sesame seeds to taste
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking time:
- Rest time:
6 hours of leavening approx
per 8 bagel
How to prepare bagels: procedure
- To melt the mother yeast in the water together with the agave syrup,
- to follow incorporate the flour and finally the salt,
- to form a ball, put it in a citole with a narrow bottom to help the leavening, cover it with food film in contact so as not to dry it on the surface and let it rise until doubled.
- Leavening once done divide the dough into parts of equal weight, and pirl them into balls, put them in a baking tray lined with parchment paper and let them rest for ten minutes,
- puncture the balls in the center thus forming a donut e
- leave rise until doubled by covering them with a cloth,
- to boil now each donut in lightly salted boiling water for twenty seconds per side, dipping them into water one at a time and without removing the parchment paper, this in fact will come off when in contact with the water and will have to be removed with a food tongs,
- remove from the water the bagels with a slotted spoon and place them in a pan lined with parchment paper e
- sprinkle sesame seeds on the surface of the still moist bagels,
- after boiled all the donuts, bake them in a hot oven at 220 ° for half an hour,
- cooking when finished, remove from the oven and allow the bagels to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cold, the bagels can be served on the table or they can be cut in half and stuffed with salads, sautéed or grilled seasonal vegetables.
You may also be interested in another variation of bagels or other sourdough sandwich recipes