The recipe with step-by-step tutorial to make a delicious and genuine tomato sauce at home, to be enjoyed all year round
La prescription with step by step tutorial to do the perfect homemade tomato sauce
At one time summer was considered the perfect season for preparing all kinds of food supplies at home. Entire generations worked in unison, as if they were worker ants, to prepare jams, marmalades and above all the tomato sauce.
The tomato puree is in fact the undisputed queen of home supplies, potting the tomato sauce guaranteed every family to have a precious treasure in the pantry; the genuineness of the seasonal tomato with its goodness and its properties were in fact preserved throughout the winter. This habit has been lost over the years, the hectic life and industrial products available three hundred and sixty-five days a year have meant that families no longer feel the need to prepare the pantry for the winter. Lately, however, the need to prepare a good tomato puree at home is increasingly on the rise (also in light of the latest food fraud, such as the one involving the well-known brand Petti) and therefore we have considered it appropriate to explain how to make a perfect puree. of tomato.
Read also: Pepper sauce: the easy and perfect recipe, to enjoy the summer all year round on pasta and bread
Preparing a good tomato puree at home is very simple, you will be inebriated by magnificent aromas and thanks to these maybe someone will make a temperal journey into the past reliving their childhood.
If you don't have a veranda or a spacious kitchen, don't be discouraged, you can easily prepare the tomato sauce in several stages; without therefore buying excessive quantities of tomatoes and many jars, we advise you to prepare a few kilos of tomato sauce at a time, in this way making preserves for the winter will be very pleasant and not at all tiring.
To prepare the perfect tomato puree you need some well ripe tomatoes preferably organic or in any case of a certain origin, of cans with new capsules it's a masher; if you want to follow our recipe to the letter you will also have to get some herbs and onion, if you add some aromas to the preserve, this will be even tastier.
The choice of tomatoes to use is obviously at your discretion; depending on the period in which you start preparing the tomato sauce, you can choose the tomatoes you like best, but it is essential that your choice is based on the tomatoes that are present on the fruit and vegetable counters due to seasonality.
Once prepared, the tomato puree must be placed in sterilized and intact jars, which must then be closed with new caps, in order to guarantee the vacuum; the jars, if not chipped and not damaged in the part of the screwing, can also be reused over the years, but the caps, however, cannot be used more than once, but do not despair, their cost is really low.
- 2 kg of ripe tomatoes
- 120 gr of golden onion (optional)
- 2 basil leaves (optional)
- 2 sage leaves (optional)
- 1 stalk of chives (optional)
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking time:
for 4 people
How to make the perfect tomato puree: process
- Wash the tomatoes thoroughly, preferably soaking them in water and baking soda, rinse them and cut them into wedges.
- Also wash the herbs in the same way and peel the onion.
- Also coarsely slice the onion and place the tomatoes, onion and freshly prepared aromatic herbs in a very large pot.
- Place on the stove and very low heat to start cooking, with the heat of cooking the tomatoes will release their water, bring to a boil and always over low heat cook for about an hour and a half, stirring occasionally.
- Now put the tomatoes still hot in a bowl, and pass them a little at a time in the vegetable mill with small holes, in order to collect their pulp and thus discard the peel and seeds.
- Now place the freshly prepared tomato puree in sterilized jars, close them tightly and vacuum-pack them. For the correct procedure read also: How to sterilize jars for homemade preserves
How to use the tomato puree
When you have to use the tomato puree, all you have to do is cook it in a pot with extra virgin olive oil, salt and a pinch of brown sugar to regulate any acidity or simply follow the recipe of your choice.
Follow us on Telegram| Instagram |Facebook |TikTok |YoutubeDo you want to prepare your pantry for the winter? Then read also:
- Pepper sauce: the easy and perfect recipe, to enjoy the summer all year round on pasta and bread
- DIY preserves: 10 recipes
- The guide to DIY organic preserves
- Homemade eggplant cream
- Tomato Sauce
- Do-it-yourself preserves: the guidelines of the Ministry of Health
- 10 reasons to go back to making homemade preserves
- 5 ways to store tomatoes and enjoy them all year round