How many hours do you sleep a night? Are they sufficient for your age? Maybe you think you can't get enough rest during the night, suffer from insomnia or wake up tired already. Now experts tell us how many hours we should sleep each night based on our age.
Don't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
How many hours do you sleep a night? Are they sufficient for your age? Maybe you think of not being able to get enough rest during the night, you suffer from insomnia or you wake up tired already. Now experts tell us how many hours we should sleep each night based on our age.
The new recommendations on the number of hours of sleep come from National Sleep Foundation of the United States. The indications come after two years of in-depth analysis by experts, in collaboration with the American Geriatrics Society and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Experts have analyzed 300 studies dedicated to sleep and they have drawn their own conclusions, after a long work, regarding the number of hours of rest to be recommended at each age. The maximum limit set should never be exceeded for any age group.
- 0 to 3 months: the ideal sleep duration is 14 to 17 hours
- 4 to 11 months: the recommended hours of sleep are 12-15, but the range is wider, 10-18
- From 1 to 2 years: sleep 11-14 hours a day, the range to be maintained is within 9-16 hours
- From 3 to 5 years: sleep 10 to 13 hours, not more than 14 hours and not less than 8
- From 6 to 13 years: sleep from 9 to 11 hours, however not less than 7 and not more than 12
- 14 to 17 years: sleep 8 to 10 hours, no more than 11 and no less than 7
- From 18 to 25 years: sleep 7 to 9 hours, not less than 6 and not more than 11
- From 26 to 64 years: sleep 7 to 9 hours, not less than 6 and not more than 10
- From 65 onwards: sleep 7 or 8 hours, not less than 5 and not more than 9
photo source: sleepfoundation.org
It is however about recommendations and not hard rules. If you feel very tired or on special occasions you can go too far. Among other things, the time devoted to sleep depends a lot on the work performed and the daily commitments. Keep in mind that for an adult the ideal rest time according to the experts is about 8 hours, but then adjust according to the needs of your body.
And you how many hours you sleep per night? Are you in the indicated ranges?
10 simple rules to rest a lot even with little sleep
You sleep 2 hours less than 60 years ago, but what are the risks?
The 10 rules to rest well