Apples, like many other fruits, should be eaten with all the peel because that is where the best substances are containedDon't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
Like many other fruits too apples should be eaten with the peel because it is in the outermost part of them that the main nutrients are contained. Of course in order to do this it is preferable to buy apples from organic farming in order to avoid taking together with the beneficial substances even dangerous pesticides. When this is not possible, however, the problem can be at least partially solved by washing the apples very well. In this regard, you can follow our tips for removing pesticides from fruit and vegetables.
The apple is a healthy snack and with the peel it becomes even more so for several reasons:
1) The peel contains most of the fiber, essential for the well-being and regularity of our intestine. An apple eaten unpeeled contains an average of 4,4 grams of fiber, without only 2,1 grams.
2) The peel also contains most of the vitamins. An apple with peel contains on average 8,4 milligrams of Vitamin C and 98 International Units (unit of measurement of the quantity of a substance, based on its effect or on its biological activity) of vitamin A. Without, however, these vitamins drop 6,4 milligrams and 61 IU respectively.
3) The peel of apples contains Quercetin, a antioxidant substance with many properties: it relieves respiratory problems, protects the memory and from the latest studies it seems to be able to fight the damage to brain tissues that over time can lead to the development of Alzheimer's or other degenerative diseases.
4) The peel of the apples contains some substances considered anticancer. These are the triterpenoidi that according to a 2007 study conducted by Cornell University "inhibit or kill cancer cells in laboratory cultures" especially those that develop in the liver, colon and breast.
5) Off with the extra pounds. Apple peel contains ursolic acid, an important compound for keeping body weight at bay. In fact, it seems that this substance is able to increase brown fat considered a "good fat" because it allows you to burn more calories, thus reducing the risk of obesity.
The ancient saying “an apple (with peel) a day keeps the doctor away” is therefore always valid!
Apples: all the benefits and how to best use them
An inconvenient truth about the apples of the Val di Non
5 tips for removing pesticides from fruit and vegetables