Today, sleep is spent on average 2 hours less than 60 years ago and this, according to experts, would expose you to a greater risk of contracting cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer.Don't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
Often too busy with commitments, work and daily life we forget that sleep it is physiologically essential for our well-being and 4 or 5 hours are not enough to silence the needs of rest of our organism. To launch thealarm on the phenomenon of lack of sleep and some experts interviewed by the BBC on the risks of this incorrect habit.
Scientists from the universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Manchester and Surrey have pointed out that, at present, to sleep are dedicated in media 2 hours less than 60 years ago and this would expose aun increased risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes or cancer.
The reasons why we deprive ourselves of essential extra hours of sleep, according to experts, are absolutely unacceptable and induced by our society that wants us to be super productive at all costs: "We are the most superbly arrogant species of all, we think we being able to abandon four billion years of evolution and ignore the fact that we have evolved following the alternation of day and night, '' said Russell Foster, of the University of Oxford.
Ma what are the risks of sleeping too little?
- Increases the risk of heart attack if you sleep less than 6 hours a night, research from 2012. Also increases the risk of other diseases related to heart and circulation due to high blood pressure or atherosclerosis.
- Alteration of metabolism: Insufficient sleep, according to some studies, compromises the metabolism with a higher risk of becoming overweight or suffering from type 2 diabetes.
- Alteration in the production of melatonin and antioxidants: this means that in the long run one becomes more exposed at the risk of getting sick of some types of cancer such as colon, rectal and breast.
- Decline in male fertility: a 2013 research showed that not getting enough sleep can drop sperm concentration by 29%, and poor sleep would have negative effects on sex life even more generally.
- Poor memory: whoever is satisfied with sleeping 4 or 5 hours a night, sees a reduction of 15% in the ability to memorize and learn easily.
- Lack of attention: sleeping less than 6 hours affects attention capacity with a consequent greater risk of accidents in case you have to drive.
So many good reasons then for allow yourself a proper rest every night!
- World Sleep Day: the 10 rules to rest well
- Insomnia: Eating healthy helps you sleep better and more