We reveal which citrus fruit more than others brings sorbic acid to our body, and some good reasons to eat it all year roundDon't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
We reveal which citrus fruit more than others brings sorbic acid to our body, and some good reasons to eat these fruits all year round
It is called vitamin C and one immediately thinks of a beautiful and juicy orange. But this citrus is not the best source of vitamin C that nature can offer us. Certainly, oranges are an excellent source of sorbic acid, very useful - among other things - to prevent and combat seasonal ailments such as colds and flu, as it increases the defenses of our immune system.
However, the citrus fruit richest in vitamin C is clementine: this fruit, very sweet and seedless, comes from the grafting of mandarin and bitter orange, and contains 54 mg of sorbic acid per 100 grams. We can choose to introduce them into our daily diet and consume them fresh, or use them to prepare delicious jams. And also, we don't throw away the peels: by drying them, we can transform them into very pleasant natural scent-environments.
(Also read: These are the unsuspecting fruits and vegetables that have much more vitamin C than an orange)
7 good reasons to eat citrus fruits (not just in winter)
- They are rich in vitamins and minerals. In addition to vitamin C, citrus fruits are also very rich in vitamins of group B, but also in magnesium, phosphorus and copper - as well as over 60 varieties of flavonoids (very useful for the prevention of heart diseases), carotenoids (with antioxidant power) and very fragrant essential oils.
- They are a source of fiber. Compared to other fruits and vegetables, citrus fruits are unique in that they have a higher ratio between soluble and insoluble fiber: just think that just one cup of orange wedges already contains 4 grams of fiber, useful for improving the mobility of the digestive system. , to lose weight and to prevent the onset of diabetes.
- They are low in calories. Even if after eating a nice orange we feel full, in reality citrus fruits contain very few calories: it is their water and fiber content that have a strong satiating power. For example, a small clementine contains only 35 calories, a medium orange contains 62 and a lemon only 12!
- They reduce the risk of kidney stones. Kidney stones are often caused by low levels of citrate in the urine. Many fruits and vegetables, especially citrus fruits, can increase citrate levels in the urine, reducing the risk of this problem: drinking citrus juices can offer a natural alternative to potassium citrate supplements.
- They protect against cancer. Many studies have linked citrus fruits to a reduced risk of certain cancers. A study conducted a few years ago, for example, found that people who ate a grapefruit or drank a serving of grapefruit juice every day had a lower risk of lung cancer. This is because citrus fruits contain a series of components with strong antioxidant power, capable of blocking the expression of some genes responsible for some degenerative diseases, including cancer.
- They improve heart health. According to a Japanese study conducted a few years ago, those who eat large quantities of citrus fruits have lower rates of heart disease and stroke. Additionally, grapefruit is said to be linked to a natural decrease in blood pressure, according to this research.
- They protect the brain. Last, but not least, the flavonoids contained in citrus fruits can help ward off neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, which result from the breakdown of cells in the nervous system: this is because these substances have anti-inflammatory properties that help protect from the chain. of events causing deterioration of the nervous system.
Follow your Telegram | Instagram | Facebook | TikTok | Youtube
We also recommend:
- Not just juice! 5 juices rich in vitamins to be made with Sicilian oranges
- Clementines in vending machines instead of snacks: the brilliant idea of 2 Calabrian boys
- Here comes the bread enriched with citrus, high in fiber