A deficiency of vitamin B12 can cause some symptoms to appear on the face: hyperpigmentation, vitiligoDon't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
Those who are deficient in vitamin B12 may have some characteristic symptoms on their skin and hair. This is evidenced by scientific research.
A deficiency of vitamin B12 can only be identified through specific blood tests but there are still symptoms that, if they appear, can be a small alarm bell and should invite us to investigate with the help of a doctor.
It is not rare, in fact, to have a deficiency of vitamin B12, especially if you follow a vegan diet, suffer from certain diseases or following some surgical interventions.
But what are the symptoms that appear on the skin and to watch out for? To reveal them is a scientific research conducted by Dr. Rajendran Kannan and his team at Saveetha Medical College. It is about:
- Skin hyperpigmentation: Portions of the skin become darker in color than the normal surrounding skin, i.e. it is caused by an excess of melanin. These spots can appear anywhere on the body, including the face.
- vitiligo: white spots develop on the skin, in practice it is the opposite of hyperpigmentation as it is the lack of melanin that causes them.
- angular cheilitis: a condition that causes red, swollen areas and small cuts on the sides of the mouth that can bleed and then turn into scabs.
- hair changes
Can Fam Physician
Obviously all these symptoms can also derive from something else, it will therefore be necessary to understand through blood tests if you really are deficient in vitamin B12 and in case take a supplement following the instructions of your trusted doctor.
The symptoms listed above are certainly not the only ones that may possibly indicate a vitamin B12 deficiency. There are several others including:
- pale yellow complexion of the skin
- sore, red tongue (glossitis)
- mouth ulcers
- paraesthesia (changes in the sensitivity of the limbs or other parts of the body)
- changes in the way you walk or move
- disturbed vision
- decline in mental abilities, such as memory, understanding and judgment
- Follow your Telegram
- Follow her Instagram
Fonte: Can Fam Physician
- Vitamin B12: what are the safe sources?
- Vitamin B12 deficiency is linked to primary Sjögren's syndrome. I study
- Nutritional deficiencies: the most common, the symptoms and how to prevent them