New turmeric supplements withdrawn due to hepatitis risk. There is talk of as many as 9 cases, although the number has risen to 10. This was confirmed by the Ministry of Health
New turmeric supplements withdrawn due to hepatitis risk. There is talk of as many as 9 cases, although the number has risen to 10. This was confirmed by the Ministry of Health.
It is still alarming for supplements-based curcumin. Initially, there were 2 confirmed cases of hepatitis, then the number had risen to 9 but in recent days there have been other reports.
In accordance to reported by the ministerial authorities, on 17 May the Istituto Superiore di Sanità reported as many as 9 cases of acute cholestatic hepatitis, non-infectious and non-contagious, linked to the consumption of turmeric.
“Investigations are underway to identify the cause responsible for the cases of hepatitis. Consumers are advised as a precaution to temporarily suspend the consumption of these products ", reads the notice.
Last week, only 2 supplements were withdrawn but now the list of those at risk has grown.
UPDATE OF 22 MAY
Yesterday, the National Institute of Health has reported 10 cases of acute, non-infectious and non-contagious cholestatic hepatitis, attributable to the consumption of turmeric. A series of checks are underway by the health authorities.
"The tenth case was associated with the consumption of: Curcuma 95% Maximum lot 18L264 expiry 10/2021 produced by EKAPPA LABORATORI srl on behalf of Naturando Srl"
Here is the list of all the products reported:
- BAI aromatic turmeric complex on behalf of Vitamin shop
- Tumercur Sanandrea
- MOVART Scharper SpA factory in Nichelino
- Curcuma Meriva 95% 520mg Piperine 5mg Pharmacy dr. Guys, Malcontenta
- Turmeric “Good by nature” Colfiorito
- Curcumin Plus 95%, lot 18L823 NI.VA produced by Frama, expiry 10/2021
- Curcumin 95% Kline lot 18M861 NI.VA produced by Frama, expiry 11/2021.
- Curcumin Plus 95% piperine line @ lot 2077-LOT 19B914 NI.VA produced by Frama
- Curcumin Plus 95% piperine line @ 18c590 NI.VA manufactured by Frama
In the case of Curcumin Plus 95%, production lot 18L823 and curcumin 95%, production lot 18M861, the company that produces them also had published a notice on its website inviting those who bought them to get in touch with the company.
The Higher Institute of Health had confirmed that these were the supplements produced by NI.VA di Destro Franco & Massetto Loretta SNC with registered office in via Padova 56, Vigonza (PD), produced by the FRAMA SRL plant in Noventa Padovana (PD).
What is happening?
The ministry and the National Institute of Health have appointed a commission of experts to study the situation. There curcumin in fact it is not dangerous, on the contrary. This is why we are trying to understand what is the origin of the contamination responsible for cases of hepatitis, contamination that affects different brands and products.
In any case, if you have purchased them, avoid using them.
- Turmeric: what happens to the body with a teaspoon a day
- These food supplements are dangerous and should be banned (including aloe juice)