Timbale of eggplant and bulgur, a step-by-step recipe for a light but impressive vegetarian first course
Il timbale of eggplant and bulgur it is a savory summer first course light and inviting to serve hot or at room temperature. To prepare this vegetarian recipe we preferred to grill the aubergines to make it lighter, but it is possible to fry them in hot oil for a tastier result; the bulghur instead, whole wheat rich in fiber, it has been flavored with a simple tomato and basil sauce and with vegetarian parmesan.
The timbale of aubergines and bulgur if prepared a few hours in advance will become even better, the flavors of the various ingredients will in fact blend together making it so irresistible. To give a personal touch to this recipe, you can possibly flavor the bulgur with vegan béchamel, or if you do not follow a particular diet, you can also add mozzarella or smoked scamorza.
- 1,2 kg of purple aubergines
- 700 gr of tomato sauce
- 1 onion
- Salt to taste
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 1 sprig of basil
- 250 gr of bulgur
- 500 ml of water
- parmesan with vegetable rennet to taste
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking time:
- Rest time:
4 people to
How to prepare the eggplant and bulgur timbale: procedure
- To peel the onion and chop it coarsely,
- put it in a saucepan with the oil and brown it,
- add then the tomato puree and a couple of glasses of water and salt,
- to wash the basil and add it to the tomato,
- and cook for about half an hour.
- Meantime wash the aubergines, cut the ends and cut them into thin slices along their length,
- Than we grill them on both sides on a hot plate or pan.
- Bring to the boil half a liter of water,
- Than we turn off the stove, pour the bulgur into it and cover with a lid and wait ten minutes, after which the bulgur has absorbed the water and is ready;
- season it then with the sauce and the vegetable parmesan.
- Grease now the bottom of a baking dish,
- arrange neatly the slices of aubergine along its perimeter and on the bottom of the same,
- stratification bulgur and aubergines
- having take care to cover the last layer of bulgur with the aubergines,
- refold now inwards the slices of aubergine placed sideways,
- season on the surface with tomato sauce and vegetable parmesan,
- Than we bake in a hot oven at 200 ° for about twenty minutes.
- Cooking when finished, remove from the oven and leave to rest for about ten minutes before portioning.
How to preserve the eggplant and bulgur timbale:
The timbale of eggplant and bulgur can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days as long as it is covered with cling film.You may be interested in other recipes with eggplant or other recipes with bulgur