This sugar used as a common food additive could cause the rise of one of the most aggressive superbugs ever

Beware of the presence of this additive among the ingredients of food, behind it hides a terrible super bacterium

Don't store avocado like this: it's dangerous

Beware of the presence of this common sugar in food ingredients, it could be the cause of worrying outbreaks of Clostridium difficile, an intestinal superbug

Other than a harmless additive, experts speculate that this sugar is the cause of the spread of bacteria and primarily one that would be capable of causing serious health problems once ingested foods that include the additive in the list of ingredients.

It would be the trehalose, a sugar - or rather a disaccharide - of natural origin added, for example, in many energy bars and chewing gum instead of sucrose, which would be somehow related to the spread of Clostridium difficile, a frightening bacterium that causes intestinal infections not indifferent. This was stated in a 2018 study conducted in the United States following a C.difficile epidemic

The eyes of all researchers, especially the Americans, are focused on this very dangerous rod-shaped bacterium, responsible for very serious forms of colitis, diarrhea, sepsis which in some cases can even lead to death.

Since trehalose was approved as a food additive in the United States in foods ranging from sushi to ice cream in 2000, cases of patients with these diseases have soared only three years later. The symptoms could be due to other factors as well, but the researchers surmise that among the triggers there may be trehalose. 

In particular, strains RT027 and RT078 of Clostridium difficile, according to researcher Robert Britton, feed more on trehalose than others. The experiments conducted by the scholars would also have shown that this sugar would produce more poisonous toxins than others. 

This would suggest one dangerous cause-effect correlation between trehalose and Clostridium difficile, and not just because of the boom in American cases from 2003 onwards. Further research is clearly also needed because until now this additive sugar has been considered by governments not to be dangerous to human health, but it's not quite as safe as you think, indeed it probably is not at all.

In 2000, trehalose was approved as a food additive in the United States for a number of foods, from sushi to vegetables to ice cream, and about three years later reports of outbreaks with these lines began to increase, ”Britton said. "Other factors may also contribute, but we think trehalose is a key trigger" - said the researchers. "An important contribution from this study is the realization that what we once considered a perfectly safe sugar for human consumption may have unexpected consequences ".

Although further studies are needed to confirm the link, if you find this sugar in the ingredients, leave the products that contain it on the shelves.

Source: Nature

We also recommend:

  • Pink breast milk? It could be a bacterium's fault
  • Meatless veg sausages: traces of pesticides and too many additives. Among the worst Beyond Meat
  • Woman hospitalized with melioidosis, a rare bacterial infection contracted from her tropical aquarium
  • Do you know what's inside (and behind) sliced ​​melted cheeses and cheeses? That's why you shouldn't buy them anymore
  • Alarm for drinking water contaminated by a heat-resistant bacterium in the Pescara area, hundreds of cases of gastroenteritis


add a comment of This sugar used as a common food additive could cause the rise of one of the most aggressive superbugs ever
Comment sent successfully! We will review it in the next few hours.