Sweet and sour onions are a tasty side dish but can also be served as an appetizer. Here is the step by step recipe to prepare them and make a homemade preserve to enjoy them all year round.
sweet and sour onions
Le sweet and sour onions they are a tasty side dish but can also be served as an appetizer. Here she is prescription step by step to prepare them and make a homemade preserve to enjoy them all year round.
To be prepared with borettane onions, known for their small size and sweet taste, this preserve for the winter is very easy to make; obviously you need freshly harvested borettane onions and jars with new capsules.
Aromatic and with an irresistible flavor, with this recipe you will be sure to prepare sweet and sour onions that remain firm and have a well-balanced flavor.
- 600gr of already cleaned borettane onions
- 1 L of white wine vinegar
- 300 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 180 gr of brown sugar
- 50 gr of salt
- 1 L of water
- dried thyme to taste
- ground cinnamon to taste
- 2 jars of 32 cl
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking time:
- Rest time:
for 4 people
How to prepare sweet and sour onions: process and preserve
- To peel the onions, rinse them under running water and drain them.
- Meantime combine the sugar and salt in a large saucepan,
- add vinegar, water and a scant teaspoon of thyme and cinnamon.
- To put the pot on the stove and bring to a boil,
- add the spring onions and cook them for five minutes,
- then remove them from the cooking liquid keeping this aside, and let them cool for a few minutes.
- lavare the jars and capsules and sanitize them.
- Arrange borettane onions in jars,
- cover them entirely with the cooking liquid, taking care to leave at least one centimeter free up to the edge,
- to close with the lids without using too much force
- and precede then to sterilization and pasteurization.
How to store sweet and sour onions:
Once vacuum packed, the sweet and sour onions must be stored in a dry place and preferably in the dark so as not to change their color.
After opening, the sweet and sour onions must be kept in the refrigerator, however it is advisable to consume them in a few days. The sweet and sour onions, if vacuum-packed, can be stored in the pantry for the whole winter season.