The heat contributes to increasing the conservation problems of fresh fruit and vegetables due to over-ripening, causing losses of up to 25% during the entire cycle of production, trade and consumption. Coldiretti denounces this, underlining how wasting one out of four fruit also affects the wallets of families. This is why the farmers' association has drawn up a handbook for "not throwing anything away" with 10 tips for keeping fruit fresh from field to table
Don't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
In the summer eat a lot fruits and vegetables gives relief to the body as it provides large quantities of water, salts and vitamins which, as we have seen, in addition, they also favor tanning. This is why, thanks to the greater supply of seasonal varieties, their consumption is considerably increased.
On the other hand, however, the hot it helps to increase the problems of storage of fresh fruit and vegetables due to excessive ripening, coming to cause losses up to 25% throughout the entire cycle of production, trade and consumption. The denounce it Coldiretti pointing out how waste one in four fruit it also affects the portfolios of families. This is why the farmers' association has drawn up a vademecum for "do not throw anything away" with 10 tips for keep fruit fresh from field to table and in particular:
At the point of sale:
- buy little more often, therefore better small purchases repeated over time;
- choose the fruits with the right degree of ripeness, not withered, with a turgid appearance and not excessively necrotized at the cutting points;
- read the labels and prefer i local products purchased directly from the farmer, in farmers market, Ea zero km which, not being subject to long transport times, last longer;
- to prefer seasonal fruit and vegetables which have natural ripening times;
- to prefer, compatibly with the needs, whole fruits (e.g. watermelon) which can be kept longer.
- do the shopping just before going home and avoid leaving fruit and vegetables for too long where the sun and high temperatures favor the ripening processes;
- if in the car we are equipped with conditioned air, it is better to use it also for our shopping by placing it in the back seat instead of in the trunk;
- to maintain separate the packages of the different varieties of fruit and vegetables purchased which are preferable to transport in paper bags rather than plastic bags.
- put the fruit and vegetables that you intend to consume in the short period in a fruit bowl in the dark, possibly covered by a napkin, but still away from the sun's rays, while keeping the one you intend to keep longer in the fridge, away from the cooling walls;
- In any case it is advisable that the fruit is placed spread over the container to avoid bruising and development of rot.