Here's how to prepare a delicious and sweet watermelon jam, using only the sugars present in the fruit
Let's find out how to prepare a delicious and sweet watermelon jam, using only the sugars present in the fruit and without adding others.
Watermelon is one of the symbolic fruits of the summer - colorful, thirst-quenching and rich in fiber and mineral salts. Its sweet taste immediately reminds us of days at the beach or picnics with friends. But would it be possible to 'trap' its unmistakable flavor and return to taste it even in the winter months, when the heat of these times will be just a memory? Of course yes, by preparing this excellent jam (without sugar)!
The preparation of watermelon jam is very simple, but it is important to always follow our advice on sanitizing and pasteurizing jars, because there are steps to take that make homemade preserves safe.
(Read also: Homemade melon jam without added sugar)
- 1 kg of watermelon
- Pulp of an apple
- Juice of half a lemon
- To obtain a sufficiently sweet jam it is important to choose a well-ripened and tasty watermelon, with a compact pulp and a bright complexion. After removing the peel and the whiter part of the pulp (the less tasty one), cut the pulp into small pieces and pass it in the vegetable mill, in order to remove the seeds.
- Add the lemon juice and the pulp of the grated apple to the freshly extracted watermelon juice, and cook over low heat for about 35-40 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon. The addition of the apple, preferably with the peel, it will help you thicken the mixture thus shortening cooking times.
- After cooking, blend the fruit with an immersion blender: in this way you will obtain a smooth, homogeneous jam without pieces of fruit.
- Then pour the still hot jam into the sterilized jars and close them with airtight caps. To ensure that the jars seal and the jam keeps for many months, turn the jar upside down to let the air out.
- Follow your Telegram|Instagram |Facebook |TikTok |Youtube
We also recommend:
- Homemade apricot jam without added sugar
- Homemade melon jam: the recipe with very little sugar
- How to make poppy petal jam
- DIY jams and marmalades: 10 delicious summer recipes
- Strawberry jams, test on best-selling brands reveals dangers for younger children