Retired hand sanitizer used in Irish schools: it caused headaches, irritation and dermatitis

Who I am
Elia Tabuenca García
@eliatabuencagarcia
Author and references

It was used in Irish schools as a hand sanitizer but according to the Ministry of Agriculture it could cause health problems

Don't store avocado like this: it's dangerous

It was used in Irish schools as a hand sanitizer but according to the Ministry of Agriculture it could cause public health problems. For this a disinfectant product was withdrawn from the market.





It is called Virapro Hand Sanitiser and according to what was explained by the ministerial authorities in a press release, the tests carried out revealed that some of the disinfectants on sale did not comply with the regulations governing the content and effectiveness of these products. In fact, the analyzes showed that some batches of the product contained methanol rather than ethanol.

"Prolonged use of this disinfectant can cause dermatitis, eye irritation, upper respiratory tract irritation and headache"

explain the Irish authorities who have ordered the withdrawal from the market:

“This product may not remain on the market or be made available for use. The company involved was instructed by the Minister to initiate an immediate recall of all products. Citizens are advised to discontinue use of this disinfectant with immediate effect. An investigation by the Ministry into the matter is underway ", he continues.

At the moment, the Ministry has removed the hand sanitizer product Virapro Hand Sanitiser (PCS 100409) from the register of biocides.

Assistant Ministry Secretary Liz Canavan confirmed that an investigation into the matter is ongoing. In a press conference, Canavan said that if schools have difficulty obtaining other disinfectants, they should contact the Ministry of Education.

Assistant Secretary at the Department of the Taoiseach Liz Canavan says the Department of Education has advised all schools of the withdrawal from the market of ViraPro Hand Sanitiser due to possible public health concerns | https://t.co/adKnmJS2Xv pic.twitter.com/hJNmLXkBWk

— RTÉ News (@rtenews) October 23,

The serious thing is that this product was in use for hand disinfection in schools across the country and in some medical facilities, such as primary care practices. It was also commonly on sale at various stores. But from today it won't be anymore. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education has made it known that schools that use disinfectant today could have closed and many have done so.



It is not known how many schools have used the hand sanitizer in question, but there could be many. An infectious disease expert at St Vincent's hospital, Professor Patrick Mallon, said the withdrawal of a hand sanitizer from schools is an "unfortunate circumstance" that should not break the vital habit of disinfection and washing. of hands to counter Covid-19.

For this Professor Mallon invited adults, parents and children to continue to focus on the importance of hand washing.

Sources of reference: Government of Ireland, Rte

READ also:


  • New ban on the use of the Neoxinal disinfectant by Aifa
  • Simple and effective DIY hand sanitizer gel
  • Created disinfectant that eliminates traces of the coronavirus from surfaces for 90 days
add a comment of Retired hand sanitizer used in Irish schools: it caused headaches, irritation and dermatitis
Comment sent successfully! We will review it in the next few hours.