Stress is a strong obstacle to our well-being and our vitality and today as ever it is constantly present in our days. The pain it causes us, however, is often caused by the misinterpretation of this state of mind and our wrong approach towards it.
Don't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
Lo stress it is a strong obstacle to our well-being and our vitality and today as ever it is constantly present in our days. The pain it causes us, however, is often caused by bad interpretation of this state of mind it's ours wrong approach in his regards.
Have you ever happened to try to relax and find that the more you try to do it the more stress increases? On the contrary, when we stop wanting to control the situation and our state of mind, the stress decreases and we find ourselves relaxed, as if by magic. Why does this strange thing happen e what does it really mean to be relaxed?
Relaxing means giving up control. We may not consciously realize it, but it is something we experience every time we step out of situations stress, anger, fear and anxiety. We simply stop wanting to control them or get distracted by doing something else.
These are emotions. We try them whenever we feel we are losing control. Whether it's in relationships, work, health or money, whenever we feel we are losing grip, we are enveloped in anger, sadness, fear, anxiety and more.
Sometimes we can relax and solve the problem interrupting the flow of thoughts, taking a walk or going to a movie, but it's only a temporary solution.
The real solution is accept these emotions and these moods. And that doesn't mean being reckless or irresponsible by ignoring everything around us, but it means being wise and accept things for what they are.
Self-awareness - the real key to staying relaxed for a long time
Without awareness it is easy to lose your temper and fall into trough. When we are aware of our emotions and we accept them, we are able to evaluate the seriousness of the problem, give it the right weight and find the most suitable solution.
I know, it's not easy nowadays: it seems that the only moments in which we can "disconnect" a little from everyday stress is when we we dedicate to our hobbies or when we decide to take refuge on a beach or inside one Spa.
Indeed, often the flow of thoughts is so intense that unfortunately not even this is enough and we find ourselves inside that hydro massage, or under that umbrella thinking if that job went well, if tomorrow we will be able to arrive in time for that appointment and so on. And all this because we are afraid, afraid of failing, afraid of not arriving in time, afraid of not making it, paura of stress itself. It is the fear that we care!
We don't have to be afraid of stress, we need to accept and understand it
Stress is not always a bad thing, it is our interpretation that makes it harmful. Stress can be a source of energy that pushes us to take action to get better and achieve our goals.
Our responses to stress manifest themselves in the form of emotions, emotions that bring us very important messages, action signals that indicate that something is wrong, that there is something we need to change.
If instead of hating these emotions we become curious e let's try to understand them we would be able to know and discover our true nature.
I am aware that we often cannot afford this luxury, stop and work on us to understand ourselves, we don't have the material time, but I'll tell you a little secret. We will never have time to do what we want if we don't take it!
How can we restore our well-being, relax and return to feeling strong and vital every time we are tested? Is there a way, a simple and safe strategy to relax without taking a plane and going on vacation and without poisoning our blood with chemicals?
A relaxation technique for everyone!
Yes there is! Using this strategy we can learn to free ourselves from tension, we may be able to think clearly and focused, make good decisions, improve our efficiency and our vitality.
1. Silence. Find a quiet place where you can be left alone for a couple of minutes without any interruption.
2. Make yourself comfortablei, sitting or lying down, but keep your back straight. Without bending, neither back nor forward. If you are at home you may choose to lie down on a bed with your hands resting at your sides, but if you tend to fall asleep in this position, it is best to stay seated.
3. Be aware. Close your eyes and focus on your surroundings. Listen to the sounds around you. Even though there doesn't seem to be any sound, when you listen carefully you can hear sounds you may not have noticed before. Like birds, the rustle of leaves or the hum of the PC bottom. Feel your weight on the surface you are sitting on and be aware of the vast space around you.
4. Breathe naturally. La breathing is very important and, as I also explain in my ebook (which you can download for free here), it affects our emotions and moods in a crazy way! Take a good deep breath. Do it in your own time, do not force yourself and don't try to control it. The first two breaths will most likely be short and quick, especially if you are stressed, don't worry. You will find that little by little the breathing slows down and gradually that you go on each inhalation and exhalation will be longer, deeper and slower.
Each time you exhale say to yourself, “I feel calmer and more relaxed” will serve to calm the mind.
5. Mentally scan your body. As you calm down, mentally scan your body for other tense points. Scan your head and slowly move forward reaching the throat, shoulders, hands, lungs, abdomen, thighs, calves and finally legs. Look for the parts of your body that are still tense.
If you find one part contracted, tense or painful, just focus on it, without any judgment. Avoid trying to relieve this pain. It only risks increasing its intensity. Being aware is enough. Tell yourself, "I don't need to keep this tension or pain inside me." Then, gently, let the tension melt away by itself.
6. Be kind and patient with yourself. When one pain has been eliminated, move on to the next. If the pain or tension remains, don't worry. It means you need more time and less judgment. If time does not allow you to overcome it, make a mental note and go back to it in the next session.
Don't ask yourself to feel completely relaxed after each session. It would mean trying to control the whole experience and, as you well know, the more you try to control things, the less you relax. If you feel even 30% more relaxed than usual, congratulate yourself.
7. Imagine your next move. Keep the next step ready in your mind, imagine your next action and accompany it with this feeling of peace, tranquility, joy and gratitude. Open your eyes and continue your daily life regenerated and relaxed.
Much Joy and Vitality,
- How to improve your health by breathing
- 10 zero impact ways to reduce stress