Building a do-it-yourself seedbed is pretty simple. We have already presented you with several ideas in this regard. But there are those who have thought of refining the technique and making their project available to everyone. This is the seedbed bottle method, conceived by Domenico Vitello and Rosella Federigi of GASeS of Pisa (Solidarity and Exchange Self-Production Groups).
He is about to end up run over, his mother saves him
Build a do-it-yourself seedbed it's pretty simple. We had already introduced you various idea about it. But there are those who have thought of refine the technique and to make your project available to everyone. This is the seedbed bottle method, Created by Domenico Vitiello e Rosella Federigi of the GASeS of Pisa (Solidarity and Exchange Self-Production Groups).
Domenico is Graduated in Agricultural Sciences, but he gave up practicing the profession almost immediately, to devote himself full time since 1991 to theself orchard and fruit for theconsumption, following bio-natural agriculture.
The Bioscambio Practical Guide n ° 1 was published in 2012. For 2014 here is the second Guide, a new improved version for the construction andutilization of the seedbed bottles, an effective and always very simple method to implement, born after two years of experimentation.
La Practical Guide Bioscambio n ° 2 was published in copyright (all rights reserved) and related in PDA, Public Domain Anti-Expiration, so it is freely distributable without having to ask for any authorization. The idea allows you to reuse intelligently the bempty plastic bottles.
Here are the main features of the new method:
1) They were eliminated disposable plastic cups. Instead, only the empty bottles are used directly. From the lower half you get the tank in which to put the water, while from the upper part you get the container that will contain the soil for sowing.
2) Reduction of the quantity ofwater needed for irrigation. The quantity of water contained in the tank is equal to 1/4 compared to the previous method. To restore it, simply lift the upper half of the bottle that contains the soil and pour the water up to 2/3 of the tank.
3) Plastic cups have also been eliminated for the repicchiettamento of the seedlings, for which other containers are used. There is a system of sectorization of the soil in 4 cells, through simple ones folded sheets of paper.
4) For the seedbed bottles have been created appropriate covers which serve to protect the seedlings just sprouted from the seed from the arrival of insects. From each bottle vacuum, two covers are obtained with holes for aeration.
5) It is possible to connect the bottles to each other and restore the water according to the principle of communicating vessels. The system is especially useful for those who have to make many seedlings for transplantation. A hot nail is used to pierce the bottles.
Watch the video tutorial with all the instructions for making a seedbed from a plastic bottle.
Specialties Thu la Bioscambio guide to build a DIY seedbed from a plastic bottle.
Photo source: bioscambio.com
10 do-it-yourself seedbeds
How to make self-watering pots from glass bottles
How to build a self-watering pot