Red onion jam without white sugar, the recipe to prepare at home a preserve with a delicate and tasty flavor to accompany aged cheeses or toasted slices of homemade bread.
Red onion jam, prescription to prepare at home a preserve with a delicate and tasty flavor to accompany aged cheeses or toasted slices of homemade bread.
To prepare it it is good to choose some homegrown onions like those IGP from Tropea because they are sweet and of a certain origin; these are then combined with water, cane sugar and white wine. A maceration of three will allow the onions to release their water, while the slow cooking will allow to reach the right consistency of the jam.
For conservation, he recommends using pre-sanitized glass jars and carrying out the correct pasteurization by following our tutorial.
- 1 kg of red onions
- 300 gr of whole cane sugar
- 60 gr of white wine
- 40 grams of water
- 1 jar of 300 gr
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking time:
- Rest time:
for 1 jar of 300 gr
How to prepare bread with spinach: procedure
- To clean the onions and cut them finely, put them in a large bowl and add the sugar, water and wine,
- leave macerate for three hours, taking care to mix it every now and then.
- To maceration when finished, transfer everything to a thick-bottomed pot, put it on the smallest stove and start a very sweet cooking,
- mix often and cook for about two hours or in any case until the water is completely consumed,
- when the jam will be ready, transfer it to the already sanitized jars, close the capsule without tightening it excessively, then boil for another twenty minutes, thus proceeding with pasteurization.
How to store red onion jam:
The red onion jam must be kept in the pantry away from light; it can be tasted one month after its preparation and, once opened, it must be placed in the refrigerator and consumed within a few days.
You might be interested in others as well
- recipes of homemade preserves
- sweet and sour onion preserves
- pear and ginger jam
- Pumpkin jam with cocoa and cardamom
- Jam Green Tomatoes