What are the causes and how can hoarseness be treated with natural remedies?Don't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
Altered voice, low or cavernous, which, in the worst case, also tends to disappear (aphonia): hoarseness is an anomalous but benign condition, which can affect our voice and is characterized above all by the difficulty in emitting clear vocal sounds. But what are the causes and how can hoarseness be treated with natural remedies?
La hoarseness it can be an isolated disorder, but it often occurs also as a symptom associated with cough, difficulty swallowing, fever and breathing difficulties.
Alteration that can know different levels of severity and is a symptom of a more complex pathology developed in the larynx, what is certain is that hoarseness is to be considered a symptomatic sign and not a real disease.
Cos'è la raucedine
It is a limitation of the low sounds of the voice characterized above all by a progressive or sudden lowering of the pitch.
Generally hoarseness is a ailment of a benign nature, which may coincide with other symptoms such as cough, fever and difficulty in breathing.
That characteristic condition of impaired voice or total aphonia is in most cases due to ainflammation of the upper airways, a laryngitis, a simple cold, but also a tracheitis, a pharyngitis or a sinusitis.
It is more rare that the symptom represents an alarm bell for diseases of greater gravity, such as bronchitis or, worse, pneumonia, or an asthmatic phenomenon, which could also lead to the presence of lesions of a neoplastic nature (cancer, polyps or nodules) .
It is therefore obvious that if the hoarseness lasts longer, it is good to consult a doctor and that the emergency conditions that can occur can be identified in:
- severe breathing problems or difficulty swallowing
- loss of saliva, especially in a young child
- manifestation of symptoms in a baby less than three months old
Causes of hoarseness
Viruses or inflammations and vocal abuse are the prime causes of hoarseness.
Generally speaking, hoarseness is in fact due to viral diseases which usually resolve spontaneously within two weeks. But too intense or prolonged use / abuse of one's voice could also be a cause.
There are other factors that could cause hoarseness, such as:
- gastroesophageal reflux
- inflammation or infection of the vocal cords
- chronic cough
- some types of allergies
- inhalation of toxic or irritating substances for the throat
- excessive consumption of tobacco
- abuse of alcoholic beverages
- excessive and distorted use of the voice
- prolonged crying (in babies)
- respiratory tract infections (such as tonsillitis, laryngitis and bronchitis)
You may also be interested in:
- Tonsillitis: symptoms, natural remedies and what to eat
- Gastroesophageal reflux, the causes that trigger it. Attention also to sport
Other less frequent causes of hoarseness include:
- throat injury or irritation caused by tracheal intubation or bronchoscopy procedures
- damage to nerves and muscles caused by trauma or surgery
- prolonged inhalation use of some corticosteroid drugs
- foreign objects in the esophagus or trachea
- changes in the larynx during puberty
- neoplasms of the thyroid gland
- endocrine dysfunctions
- alterations to the vocal cords
- lung cancer
- upper aortic aneurysm (pathological dilation of the aorta)
The presence of a set of symptoms will determine the severity of the hoarseness. Generally the main symptoms are:
- sore throat
- difficulty swallowing, due to white patches covering the tonsils or throat
- frequent desire to clear the throat
- nasal congestion
On the subject read also:
- Oily or dry cough: differences and natural remedies
- Plaques in the throat: symptoms, causes and the most effective natural remedies
Other symptoms are:
- unexplained weight loss
- pain localized in the ear (ear pain)
- breathing difficulties
- swollen lymph nodes
- stomach ache
- disturbances in balance or coordination
- chest pain
- hemoptysis, which is the emission of blood from the respiratory tract, often through a cough
- persistent lump in the throat
How to relieve the alteration of voice
A little voice "at rest", a lot of patience and some attention to the flu state will make the hoarseness pass in a reasonable time. Conversely, if the hoarseness persists for weeks or in any case for too long, contact an expert and investigate more specific causes.
Here are a few simple steps to relieve the symptoms of hoarseness:
- drink a lot, to keep the throat moist and lubricate the vocal cords
- keep the vocal cords at rest, do not shout and do not whisper
- do not scratch your throat
- humidify the rooms
- avoid smoking
- do not expose yourself to environmental antigens, such as irritants or dust
- avoid decongestants that often irritate or dry the throat
- reduce or eliminate the intake of medications to combat heartburn and stomach acid
Natural remedies for hoarseness
In case of cold hoarseness, what needs to be done is aim to soothe and disinfect the inflamed throat. In addition to drinking plenty of fluids, you promote the expulsion of phlegm and keep your vocal cords well hydrated.
Some may come in handy in the course of inflammation natural remedies as:
With warm water and a hint of baking soda, they are useful for disinfecting the oral cavity. In this case, lemon and basil in warm water are also useful.
Smoke and smokeEspecially in the case where the sore throat is associated with cough, the fumenti and suffimiges are an ideal natural remedy. They can be done simply with a sachet of chamomile and a spoonful of baking soda, even several times a day.
ErisimoIn mother tincture, herbal tea or syrup, erysme is a plant of the Brassicaceae or Cruciferae family also known as singers' herb and the reason is easily understood: it relieves inflammation of the throat, in particular of the hoarseness and lowering of the voice, but also irritation due to too much smoke.
With its disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties, ginger tea, combined with a little cinnamon and cloves, can be an excellent remedy for hoarseness. Chewing on a small piece of fresh root or candied ginger can also help relieve the feeling of discomfort in the throat.
Against hoarseness, thecypress essential oil, to mix a drop with a teaspoon of maple syrup and all in an infusion of thyme. Eucalyptus essential oil is also excellent.
To be taken pure or dissolved in water, in a herbal tea and in hot milk. You can also take a spoonful of honey on which to sprinkle some lemon juice. Among the most recommended types of honey that are friends of the respiratory tract are eucalyptus honey and manuka honey.
- Without Voice? Try natural remedies and homeopathy!
- Fumenti and fumigations against colds and sore throats
- Honey: 5 extraordinary healing properties
- Candies for cough and sore throat: 10 homemade recipes