Kefir is a fermented drink with a thousand benefits for our body. Let's find out the recipe to make it at home with vegetable drinks, from coconut milk to that of almonds or cashews.
Kefir is a fermented drink, originally from Eastern Europe. It has a pungent taste and the texture of a yogurt. It is well known that this bevanda probiotics it has significant beneficial effects on the health of the digestive system, and beyond.
Although milk kefir is now quite widely available packaged at the supermarket, there is currently no marketed kefir vegetale, with the exception of the water kefir, found mainly in specialty shops and restaurants. (Read also: Kefir: what contains what you buy at the supermarket and which one to choose)
Kefir based on vegetable drinks: the recipe
Vegetable kefir is the ideal option for those who are allergic to dairy products, or for those who simply follow avegan food. To make this recipe it is possible to use different types of vegetable drinks, the one based on cashews, almonds, coconut, or coconut water or simply water.
Here's how to proceed:
- divide and kefir granules in 5 different 1 liter jars
- add 2 cups of coconut vegetable drink to each of the 5 jars
- add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, to help feed the kefir grains
- close the jars in a container and place them over the hot oven at about 38 degrees for 24 hours, in order to activate the fermentation
- after 24 hours, the vegetable drink will have developed very quickly, with the kefir grain multiplying
- filter the milk and if you have any kefir grains left over you can use them to make more.
You can also use a cashew and almond drink, or you can make your own plant milk at home, so you can avoid the extra stabilizers and control the amount and type of sweetener to use.
With cashew milk it will take a little longer (about 36 hours) for the crop to achieve the same degree of spiciness as coconut milk. Additionally, this plant-based drink produces a denser substance than coconut milk, more like a Greek yogurt. The kefir grain, however, turns out to be much smaller.
La almond-based drinkon the other hand, it is more demanding, as it takes longer and tastes less pleasant. This could be due to the crop contrasting with the sulfur compounds of almonds; in this case, you can add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to 1 liter of almond milk, in order to give more nutrition to the kefir grain.
Il coconut milk kefir it is best to make, as it requires little stimulation to turn sour. It also has a longer shelf life: more than 30 days, chilled in a glass jar and fed some coconut sugar or maple syrup about once a week.
Follow us on Telegram | Instagram | Facebook | TikTok | Youtube
Sul kefir could it be interesting for you:
- Is Kefir good for lactose intolerant?
- Kefir: good, but not for everyone! Possible damage and side effects
- Greek yogurt, skyr and kefir: differences and which one to choose
- Water kefir: how to preserve the grains and reactivate the tibicos if necessary
- Kefir, are you drinking too much? Potential side effects of excessive consumption
- How Much Kefir Can You Drink? If you overdo it, you could have several side effects
- Kefir ice cream? 4 fresh, healthy and super creamy recipes
- Kefir: where to find the grains to self-produce it at home and how to recognize "bad donors"