Here is the homemade "twix", the recipe for preparing fragrant biscuit bars wrapped in soft and mellow toffee, covered with delicious milk (or dark) chocolate. Instead of buying the industrial version of the famous chocolate bar, rich in dyes and preservatives produced by the American Mars - you can make it at home with a few ingredients chosen by you (where possible at zero kilometers and not very refined) and a little good will!
Here is the Homemade “twix”, the recipe for preparing fragrant biscuit bars wrapped in soft and pasty toffee, covered with delicious milk (or dark) chocolate. Instead of buying the industrial version of the famous chocolate bar, rich in dyes and preservatives produced byamericana mars - you can do it at home with a few ingredients chosen by you (where possible a zero kilometers and not very refined) and a little good will!
Yes, you got it right: this time we propose the recipe for making twix at home!
- 150 g of 1 flour
- 50 g of corn starch
- 70 g of cane sugar
- 50 g of butter
- 1 egg
- 100 g of brown sugar (for the toffee)
- 40 g of butter
- 60 ml of milk
- 100 g milk chocolate (for covering)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking time:
- Rest time:
for 5 bars
1) First istart preparing the toffee (it will take at least half an hour): pour the sugar into a saucepan and put it on the stove at minimum, let it melt, then mix it and cook for about 10 minutes, always stirring. After this time, remove the saucepan from the heat, add the butter into chunks and the milk, mix well to mix the ingredients and put everything back on the heat, stirring occasionally with a whisk, to prevent the mixture from forming lumps.
When the liquid begins to thicken evenly and take on the color of caramel, stir for another 3-4 minutes, then turn off and let it cool.
2) Meanwhile prepare the shortcrust pastry: add all the ingredients, mix them coarsely, so as to form a more or less uniform dough, then wrap the ball obtained with cling film and keep in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
3) After this time, take the dough again, mix it for a few minutes, then roll it out with your hands until you get one layer about 1 cm thick and get (you can do it with the help of a knife or a spatula, but also with your hands) one ten bars about 2-3 cm wide and 10-12 cm long. Here, of course, you can decide the size of your Twix yourself, so you can make them as you like, even round if you prefer!
Fixed the shortcrust pastry bars on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes (or until just golden on the surface).
4) Once baked biscuit bars, take them out of the oven and let them cool completely.
5) At this point all that remains is start composing your twix: with the help of a teaspoon spread a thick layer of toffee on each of the biscuit bars, carefully leveled so as to wrap them completely (even on the edges) and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
6) When the toffee will have solidified, all that remains is prepare the chocolate coating: Break up the chocolate in a small bowl and melt it in a bain-marie without touching it; when it has turned into a cream, remove the bowl from the heat and mix it with a whisk, add the milk, stir again and put it back on the heat.
When it becomes smooth and homogeneous, turn off the stove and - with the help of a spoon - pour the hot chocolate onto the bars (which you have placed on a sheet of baking paper, spacing them at least 3-4 cm), let it solidify, then put in the fridge for about ten minutes and serve!
Photos and texts: Verdiana Amorosi
- Homemade milk slice: the recipe
- Homemade heaven cake: the vegan recipe
- Snack: Homemade (vegan) cereal bars
- Homemade vegan bars
- 5 packaged foods you will never need to buy again
- Mars, the chocolate that kills animals. The PETA petition continues