What are the causes and what are the remedies for diarrhea? Is there an effective diet to follow to alleviate the problem or make it disappear altogether?Don't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
La Diarrhea it is a defecation disorder that is characterized by the rapid emission of abundant and not very consistent stools. But what are the causes and what remedies for diarrhea? And there is one effective diet to follow to alleviate the problem or make it disappear completely?
When you are talking about Diarrhea it refers to a non-specific symptom that unites many diseases - especially those gastrointestinal - or to non-pathological conditions such as one can be food intolerance.
Generally, for diarrhea to be talked about, they must be at the same time present two conditions:
- frequency: evacuations reach at least three a day
- altered quantity and quality of manure: the faeces are poorly formed if not completely liquid
Based on the frequency of symptoms, diarrhea is classified into:
- acute diarrhea, which is mainly due to the presence of an infection, but it can also be caused by the use of drugs, by the presence of fecalomas (which are formed by the retention of stool inside the intestine), by the reintroduction of solid foods after a long fast or by other pathological conditions such as diverticulitis
- chronic diarrhea, lasting more than 3 or 4 weeks, mostly due to the presence of irritable bowel syndrome, but can also be caused by the presence of celiac disease or inflammatory bowel disease.
Consequently, intestinal flu is one of the causes of diarrhea. Between infectious causes we find bacteria, viruses and parasites. A particular type is the so-called "traveler's diarrhea”Caused by a microorganism called Campylobacter jejuni which can contaminate water and food.
Other causes of diarrhea are:
- stress and irritability
- irritable colon
- Crohn's disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- some medications such as laxatives and antibiotics
- food intolerances and allergies
- intestinal malabsorption
- anatomical lesions especially post-surgical
- hyperthyroidism and hypoparathyroidism
- intestinal carcinoid
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
- mesenteric insufficiency
- celiac disease
READ also: INTESTINAL INFLUENZA: 5 USEFUL TIPS FOR ADULTS AND CHILDREN
Diarrhea could present itself as an isolated phenomenon as well as be accompanied by disorders such as:
- abdominal pain
Depending on the case, they can also be found traces of blood in the stool.
READ also: BLOOD IN THE FAECES: ALL POSSIBLE CAUSES
Given the variety of causes that can lead to diarrhea, it is clear that the remedies differ according to the pathology that unleashed it.
It is always essential, in any case intervene promptly to at least combat dehydration. This is why it is important to take lactic ferments and all this can reinstatement the liquids, mineral salts and sugars lost.
To hire antibiotics absolutely not needed, but in case of serious infections in which the causative agent has been identified (typhus, campylobacter, Yersinia, Clostridium difficile), the doctor may prescribe antibiotic treatment. Antidiarrheal drugs, on the other hand, only alleviate diarrhea but do not solve its causes.
READ also: THE 10 BEST DRINKS TO RELIEVE THIRST AND REHYDRATE THE BODY
On the other hand, there is a whole series of natural remedies which is good to consider especially if you do not want to be stuffed with drugs. For rebalance intestinal function and also act on stressful situations you can use:
- Potentilla, which has astringent, anti-inflammatory, healing, bacteriostatic and antiviral functions and can be useful against all forms of diarrhea and for inflammation of the mucous membranes
- Blueberry, the leaves of the blueberry have an antidiarrheal, astringent and antiseptic action
- Alchemilla, whose leaves have astringent and antiseptic properties
- Bach flowers, which for diarrhea can work on the emotional state that leads to the onset of the disorder
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
READ also: 10 WILD HERBS AND EDIBLE PLANTS YOU CAN COLLECT IN WINTER
Aromatherapy against diarrhea
All the essential oils have antibacterial properties, and those most suitable for diarrhea also have an antibiotic action.
- Essential oil of oregano, valuable against infections and inflammations
- Essential oil of basil, which restores the optimal microbiological and physiological conditions of the bacterial flora
- Cinnamon essential oil, indicated in case of fermentative enterocolitis and diarrhea caused by intestinal infections and parasites
- Mint essential oil, useful for almost all disorders related to the digestive system, has a stomachic, carminative, cholagogue and antispasmodic action
READ also: AROMATHERAPY: 10 EXTRAORDINARY HEALTH BENEFITS
Diet for diarrhea: recommended foods and foods not recommended
There are many beneficial foods in case of diarrhea. The choice of certain foods makes it more bearable and undoubtedly shortens the course.
- carrots, which compact the diarrheal stools
- artichokes, with diuretic properties, eliminate toxins
- potatoes, which protect the gastric mucous membranes
- brown rice, with astringent properties
- diluted tea
- bananas, which replenish mineral salts
- yogurt, which balances the bacterial flora
- toasted bread
- carob flour
Foods to avoid
- slag-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables
- fruit juices
- iced sodas and strong tea
- foods rich in fat
- alcoholic beverages
- substances that could aggravate any intolerances
- XNUMX cups milk