Dan Cluderay, a British engineer, has compiled a list of 10 foods that can be safely eaten even after the expiration date.Don't store avocado like this: it's dangerous
We often remind you of read the labels carefully of the products you buy and, when it comes to food, do not forget to keep an eye on the expiry date. We know however that when we read "Best before", that product can actually be consumed even after the date printed on the package.
Dan Cluderay, British engineer, drew up a list of 10 foods that can be safely eaten even after the expiration date, obviously if still closed. The list was posted on Approved Food, a UK-owned site that sells expired food products at very affordable prices. The idea is undoubtedly a good one, especially for avoid waste, but the problem is the food itself, most of which are certainly not healthy. Let's see what they are:
1) Chips. Thanks to the exaggerated amount of salt they contain, they can be safely consumed beyond the expiration date.
2) Ketchup and other similar sauces they can be kept up to one year after the expiry date, obviously packaged and stored in a cool place (even in the refrigerator).
3) Chocolate. Thanks to the presence of sugar, it can be consumed well beyond the date printed on the package.
4) Yogurt. It may seem strange but even this product has 6 weeks of life longer than the expiration date, the problem however is that the lactic ferments at that point will have completely lost their effectiveness.
5) Latte. Cluderay argues that as long as the milk does not smell bad or appears lumpy or condensed it can be safely consumed.
6) Hard or aged cheese. If a bit of mold appears, just remove the part where it appeared and consume the rest. However, not everyone would agree with this theory. There are those who believe that in some way it also passes to the rest of the cheese.
7) Pane. Also here pay attention only to mold, in this case the bread is to be thrown away otherwise, even if dry, just heat it a little or grate it to add it to other preparations.
8) Eggs. There is a grandmother's remedy that allows you to understand if they are still good: just immerse them in water. Do they float? They must be thrown away. Do they sink? They are still good.
9) Rice. Another food that can last a long time, even years after the expiration date. Not the integral one, however, which easily turns rancid.
10) Fruits and vegetables. If well preserved and visibly healthy and still crunchy, they can obviously be consumed even after their expiry date.
With a few exceptions, this more than a list of foods that can be used safely after the expiry date, it seems like a list of foods to consume in moderation or just to avoid! As always, we invite you to choose a healthy and balanced diet, avoiding junk food and packaged products, preferring instead wholemeal and fresh foods as much as possible, with little sugar or salt!
- WHEN TO CONSUME FOOD REGARDLESS OF THE EXPIRY DATE
- HOW MANY EXPIRED FOODS DO YOU CONSUME? EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EXPIRY DATES ON THE LABEL
- NINE “WITHOUT” EXPIRATION DATE FOODS